

Tisbury Sewer Advisory Committee Meeting
Zoom Meeting
October 12, 2022
Meeting Minutes

October 12, 2022, 4:05pm

Committee Members attending: Jeff Pratt, John Best, Daniel Seidman, Chris Scott, Tomar Waldman

Absent: Connie Alexander

Staff: Jared Meader, Melinda Byers

Jeff Pratt: Calls the meeting to order at 4:05pm. I will start with approval of the minutes from September.

Dan Seidman: Motion to approve minutes

John Best: Second

Tomar Waldman left meeting. Technical difficulties.

Tomar Waldman re-joined at 4:16pm.

Vote:

Dan Seidman: (aye)

John Best: (aye)

Chris Scott: (aye)

Jeff Pratt: (aye)

Motion passed: (4-0-0)

Superintendent's Report:

Jared Meader: We received our Capital Projects list from John Snyder. I went over them with Environmental Partners. I would like this board to look at it. We are going to make some changes to it. Beginning with general consulting services that are listed at \$20,000.00. Next year, we are increasing it to \$30,000.00 due to the age of the plant. Lately, I have had to call in more experts to help fix problems. Then, every fourth year we will increase another of \$10,000 with a projection of \$50,000.00 a year by fiscal year 2032.

I am removing from the Capital Projects list the valve actuators and the replacement of valves. Those will be addressed this winter's upcoming B2 District expansion and upgrade. So, there is no need to keep separate line items for that. Replace the centrifuge preventative maintenance agreement. It's set for \$20,000.00 for next year. I estimated an increase up to \$25,000.00 a year by 2029.

Regarding vehicle replacement, I adjusted the time frame and amounts of money with what it costs to purchase vehicles now. I purchased my new vehicle last year. We need to start upgrading utility trucks. We are going to increase that line item to \$90,000 next year. I will extend the service license to 10 years. Instead of doing it every 8 years I will try to get 10 years out of each vehicle providing no major accidents.

The plant upgrade that is upcoming is estimated at \$6,000,000.00. It has already been approved money and we will start the project this year.

John Best: That was on the warrant article a couple years ago. It was the upgrade and bumping it up for the B2 District correct?

Jared Meader: Yes, that money has already been appropriated. The only thing we did was put a place marker and added in for a full plant upgrade and replacement. Depending on the outcome of the CWMP, we are giving a very conservative estimate on the high end of \$75 million dollars.

Dan Seidman: Can I get some clarification on that? Did you say \$75 million dollars? So, is that expanding the plant or building a new one?

Jared Meader: It may expand the plant but \$75 million is the number we put on it for the worst-case scenario, depending on the CWMP. It could be for a whole new plant and expansion of the customer base. We are certain it will be much less. We are in the CWMP phase and not certain what areas are sewer, what areas will be IA systems. We have not met with the finance director yet, so we don't know what the breakdown will be. Again, it is a worst-case scenario figure.

Dan Seidman: I am confused because I worked on the layout of the sewer pipes more than a decade ago for the B2 district.

Jared Meader: This is not the B2. This is totally different.

Dan Seidman: Right, but the growth was going to be up by Cronigs correct? That is the B2 district, correct? I thought we did a warrant for 5 or 6 million to put pipes in the ground.

Jared Meader: Correct, that is the 6 million I mentioned earlier that will begin construction this winter.

Jeff Pratt: The CWMP means that communities are being asked to make plans for a net zero nitrogen plan. Whether it's done expanding sewer and or using IA systems. It is a long-range forecast to get the nitrogen levels to zero. The purpose of the CWMP is a community-based program, not just individual. Individual communities work together with a combined plan. It could mean we expand the sewer area past the B2. The state of Massachusetts has pre-approved a Nitrogen Reduction Act for all watershed communities in the state of Massachusetts. They could ask all communities to go to IA systems.

Dan Seidman: The cost to do all sewer would be unbelievably prohibitive.

Jared Meader: That's what the CWMP is for. In 5 years MV must have all watershed houses on sewer or an IA system. The second option is through the CWMP is to get the watershed permit for 20 years. We would need every house in the watershed to be on sewer or IA systems within 20 years. It will have to be a combined effort. That is what the CWMP will decide. What will be sewer and what will be IA systems and what is the most cost effective.

Dan Seidman: How many houses are in the watershed? The houses with respect to the nitrogen.

Jared Meader: I don't know how many houses.

Jeff Pratt: If I were to guess, I would say in the ballpark of 5-7 hundred.

Dan Seidman: Would it be possible to get a map of that?

Jared Meader: Sure, we can do that.

Chris Scott: Aren't there some calculations on the CWMP draft that we have? I think there are.

Jared Meader: I don't have it readily available.

John Best: So, Jared you are saying that it will be a combination of sewer and IA systems.

Jeff Pratt: That's correct, we can't sewer out to Oklahoma, or to West Chop.

John Best: Well, you might want to sewer Oklahoma Ave since it's the densest year-round area.

Jeff Pratt: What Jared has been asked to do by the Capital Needs Committee and the town, is expand out to 10 years for Capital Needs. He was asked to come up with a worst-case scenario plan going out 7- 10 years. Jared, have you presented the Capital budget to FINCOM or the Capital Committee?

Jared Meader: No, I wanted to present it to this board first.

The last item that I discussed was with John who suggested creating a subcommittee to help prioritize the remaining flow. Once that is determined, we can present it to the Select Board for approval. We think with the limited amount of flow and the housing needs of the island, we should prioritize a percentage of flow to low-income housing or workforce housing.

John Best: Do you think we should have a Select Board member on the subcommittee or just present it to them? Do you all agree that we should not have a Select Board member on this committee?

Jared Meader: I don't think we need a Select Board member because it is designed to be an advisory to them. If a member is on the board, they present it to the other Select Board members and get them to sign off on whatever that member suggests.

Tomar Waldman: I agree, we don't need a Select Board member on the committee.

All members agreed

Jeff Pratt: How many people do you think should be on the committee?

John Best: Connie is not here, but she very well may want to be on this committee.

Jared Meader: If it is one person or 3 people, whoever wants to volunteer and spend the time.

John Best: I think we need to decide this sooner rather than later. The one question is about Connie and if she would like to be on it. We don't need a vote; we are just looking for volunteers.

Jeff Pratt: Can we put together an email suggesting some dates and times to meet?

Jared Meader: Yes, I will send an email with some information about times. We can meet at my office if you would like.

Lastly is the MUNIS update. We are in the second billing cycle since beginning MUNIS. We have identified some issues with the fact that there is not a log of what type of meter has fixed dials or spinning dials. In MUNIS it must be exact. So, we are taking photographs and physically reading each meter. It is a bit daunting, but we decided that it should have been done years ago. Unfortunately, because of that, the bills have not gone out yet.

Since I spoke at the last meeting, we did hire a new employee. His name is Eric Alexander, he is Connie's son. He is a long-time island resident. He is very energetic. I have no doubt he will pass his tests. He has been a huge help already. I will try to present him at the next meeting.

Dan Seidman: What is the update with Mr. Hall? Has he given you a drawing?

Jared Meader: He has not given us a drawing. He has been in contact with the Building Dept, but no permit is pulled. I did reiterate that he needs to meet the milestones we discussed at the last meeting.

John Best: The other issue that Jared and I discussed was unless he is doing the restaurant himself or already has a tenant with a lease, we don't give out flow. If he does have a tenant, then that person would need to reapply.

Dan Seidman: Thank you for staying on top of that Jared.

Tomar Waldman: I have a question. How is Salvatore's doing with their grease trap situation?

Jared Meader: It is the end of the season and after the billing cycle we are sending out letters to everyone who has a substandard grease trap or no grease trap. Letting them know they must have an approved grease trap before they can be approved for their virtualized license for next season.

Dan Seidman: What is the status of the Dunn property? Isn't there a restaurant going in that building?

Jared Meader: Yes, there is. He has a grease trap but put an extra grease trap in also. I had him extra sleeve all the pipes in case there was ever an underground breakage. I have inspected the property at least 2 dozen times. Mr. Dunn has accommodated us on every request. The only issue I had was he put some concrete to close to one of our lids, so I am having him jack hammer it out.

Tomar Waldman: Is there any chance that Mr. Dunn could help with Salvatores grease trap situation?

Jared Meader: I suggested that in the beginning, nothing came of it. I suggested Salvatores and Mad Martha's. Mad Martha's installed their own interceptor above ground grease trap.

Dan Seidman: Is the flow for Mr. Dunn's property with the restaurant approved?

Jared Meader: Yes, it is. I don't know exactly how many gallons; I wasn't prepared to discuss that today.

Tomar Waldman: Do we have a list of all properties that have been allocated flow but not tied in yet?

Jared Meader: Yes, we do. I can get that for the next meeting.

Dan Seidman: Motion to adjourn.

Tomar Waldman: Seconds

Jeff Pratt: All in favor?

Vote:

Jeff Pratt: (aye)

Dan Seidman: (aye)

John Best: (aye)

Chris Scott: (aye)

Tomar Waldman: (aye)

Motion passed: (5-0-0)

Next meeting is Thursday November 17, 2022, at 4:00pm