

# Department of Public Works Advisory Board Meeting Minutes

June 4, 2018

Commissioners Present: George Balco, Christina Colarusso, Earl Littlefield,

DPW Director: Ray Tattersall

Attendees: Mary Ellen Larsen, Ben Robinson, George Serati, Phil Wallace, and Adam Epstein

Absent: Ian Atchison & Tomar Waldman

Public Works Advisory Board Called to Order by George Balco at 4:15 pm

**Lagoon Pond Road Boardwalk Extension:** Presented by George – Museum Project Engineer

George Serati: There's an 86' foot gap between the wooden boardwalk.

George Balco: Did you talk to the ZBA committee? We got permission 5 years ago to fill that in. It effects the wetlands . . . .

Ray Tattersall: That would be conservation.

George Serati: I will check with them. What the conservation committee did a few weeks ago was approve this proposal which was to construct an elevated walkway which would be on pilings connecting the wooden boardwalk at the bridge to the sidewalk.

George Balco: We've had a number of discussions on that and put in for CPC money to do that.

Ray Tattersall: It's been pulled since I've been in.

George Serati: Jane doesn't think we need a full permit. She didn't mention any filling.

Ray Tattersall: The only thing the DPW would do is put back the railing?

George Serati: Yes, there is a guardrail that needs to be removed then reinstalled. Handrails on both sides. The standard sidewalk size is 5'.

Phil Wallace: It will benefit a lot of the public.

George Balco asks for a motion to recommend – 2nds

Unanimously approved

George Balco: Please tell the Selectmen we strongly support this.

Ray Tattersall: I'll put it on the 19<sup>th</sup> agenda.

**Approval Meeting Minutes of April 30, 2018:**

George Balco: Mary Ellen, you had a comment about the minutes?

Mary Ellen Larsen: No corrections or anything . . .the discussion about Tashmoo Road and the maintenance of it. I was thinking, a letter be sent to all the abutters on the road that we have a responsibility to maintain the road to provide for EMS and fire. In order to do that they have to pay for the road maintenance but put it to them as their responsibility.

George Balco: The issue is that most of the traffic there is going to the town beach.

Mary Ellen Larsen: That's alright, the fact remains if they want a fire truck to come to them, the road has to be passable and they should be billed for the maintenance.

George Balco: It is passable right now – it's really good.

Ray Tattersall: The rule is now, we'll take care of it for the summer season, after that it's up to them to take care of it. Bruce Kissell is the head of that group that have been informed.

Earl Littlefield makes motion to approve minutes . . . . Christina Colarusso 2nds . . .

Approved by all.

### **Shade Tree Regulations:**

Ray Tattersall: The town attorney's changes are in red – want to change it from a by-law, which has to go before town meeting, into a regulation so we can just adopt it. Basically just going through the process to bring to BOS.

George Balco: Motion to make a recommendation for the Shade Tree Regulation.

Christina Colarusso: How will this affect the trees on Beach Road that they are talking about?

Ray Tattersall: That's a state road . . .the whole point of this is protect trees when we are doing construction and require that any work be done by an arborist, not just a tree cutter - permits required.

Earl Littlefield – Motion to approve

George Balco - 2nds

Unanimously approved

Ray Tattersall: I'll put this on the June 19<sup>th</sup> agenda as well.

### **Adam Epstein Presentation:**

Adam Epstein: I produce the Martha's Vineyard Concert Series, for the last 3 years we've been bringing small concerts to the Chapel, the high school, the Old Whaling Church and the Tabernacle. We are looking for a venue for larger concerts that would hold between 2000 – 15000 people depending on the town's demands. We would go into knowing what the expected attendance is. I have been looking all over the island for a site to host such an event according to industry standards of how many people per acre. Veteran's Park layout seems to be conducive for such a potential event and I wanted to propose the idea of a discussion which things that the town of Tisbury would be looking for in order for me to accommodate to insure an event could happen – just exploratory. Everything we do we pay for: rentals, power, labor, no subsidies from the town – police, public works, ems, traffic control . . . .we are prepared to undertake whatever is asked of us. Opening up to conversation to see if there is any interest in doing this during the shoulder seasons or even during the season.

George Balco: There's a new business association that's just starting up . . .Sarah York, Elaine Barsk are the heads of this new . . .

Christina Colarusso: Would it be under a tent?

Adam Epstein: It would be open . . . . a stage where the ballfield is facing the ocean so residents wouldn't have sound directed at them and the back road would be for power and trailers and we would limit people traffic back there. Limit capacity with fencing radiating out from that center point.

Ray Tattersall: My question is about traffic logistics.

Adam Epstein: We were looking for a place that most walkable— ferry, bus, park & ride. We looked at other locations but people would need to drive.

Ray Tattersall: That's a lot of people on the field, a lot of compaction. Do you do any maintenance on the field – that's probably the best playing field on the island.

Adam Epstein: We would finance it. We would like to know what that would be ahead of time and maybe put down tarping or mesh plastic that allows air to get to the field but doesn't hurt the grass itself. Headliner would be at 6/6:30 that way it would end by 9 and people could catch the ferry.

Mary Ellen Larsen: What about seating?

Adam Epstein: Seating would be general admission on the lawn.

Ray Tattersall: Timing is everything, we have softball through August and youth camps . . . what do you mean by shoulder season . . .

Adam Epstein: Mid-September. These would be organized 8/10 months in advance. Local food trucks/stands, local exposure. We want to create a relationship that is reoccurring.

Ray Tattersall: You should come to the Traffic Board Meeting on Wednesday. Put together a proposal for the Board of Selectmen showing them what you are trying to do.

**Review of DPW Advisory Board Candidates:**

George Balco: Ian Atchinson has bowed out and Larry Gomez has asked to join.

**Schedule Next Meeting:**

George Balco: Monday, July 9th @4pm. Earl Littlefield – 2<sup>nd</sup>. Approved by all

Motion to adjourn DPW Advisory Board Meeting by. Earl Littlefield– 2<sup>nd</sup>. Approved by all.

Meeting adjourned June 4, 2018 at 4:55PM