

DRAFT MEETING MINUTES

Minutes 2.21.17

4:36 called to order

Jeff K, Jon Snyder, david vigneault , adam turner mvc, ray tattersall, bill straw, abby burt, Matt d'andrea, mark freedman, amy Tierney, john custer, school, John schilling,

Town Admin rep

Spec Leg of unpaid bill : JG gives overview of process, says he will have language for spec. leg. At tomorrow's meeting – asks BOS if they Wd take it up tomorrow. BOs agrees

Motion: request to file thru rep to gov off spec leg to pay the Fortes bill, passes unan. TI/LG

CVEC JG gives review of adder and what impact it will have on the income from the solar arrays, Represents 13% cost to current income to the Town. All town's have approved this except for Edgartown. Will come up before Edg in March. Says he has alerted the finance dir in case this is going to come up on the upcoming fiscal budget.

Asks which Barnstable pulled out? Town or county?

TI: we voted orig to do adder for 3 years. CVEC came back and said two years . We approved 2 years.

Then we were waiting for Barn to sign the agreemtn, and we found out edg hadn't .

What is new agreement

ML: its been a year, correct?

Are they anticipating what will happen after the 2 years are up?

TI: we haven't given them any money yet as yet

Their finance were really hurting and

JG edg has not indicated one way or another

ML so this is an interim rep.

JG so this is just an update

TI: so we should find out about Barnstable.

Cape light compact

JG CLC is working with us on the Police Station. And helping with the heat issues there, states the aproject has grown, so hopefully the state will approve the use of a greater amount of money.

ML: is there a limit of available funds now for the Police Station? Jg: it is 22,000 but it will be costing more than that.

TI/ rEpresentation with CVEC and cape light from the Town.

JG you may want to bring it up with mass municipal

We can become a joint powers entity if Kirk can serve in that capacity

With Kirk, they are directly involved in energy savings etc, during Town Time is that would be a good use of Town Time.

_____ states that there are major changes coming up at the State level that could benefit the Town, the Town should appoint someone who wants it. That wd be in the Town's best interest

ISO letter JS insurance services organization judges comm on the ability to respond to risks to their comm and the risk factors are 50% is based on the fire dept struct. 40% is based on the water dept how their systems are maintained, etc. and 10% is based on the 911 structure.

We have maintained our class 3 rating, so we are in good company and this rating is given to the insurance companies and translates into lower rates for property insurance.

Water dept has flushed and repaired lines, Areas in improvement are difficult to overcome because it is personnel and we have a volunteer dept. our training is delivered locally, and not by the State. ISO is rating comm on a 3 year cycle and so we have to do documentation to support our standing in order to maintain it.

Dep Comm reports

DPW : Update on current projects

ML ?? on center street, are you coordinating with the homeowner who wants to hook up?

RT: we will coordinate that with them whenever they want to, and certainly before they pave the street.

TI: on the park and ride, we talked about a kiosk, we have been doing this for awhile so hopefully we are going to make some progress on this

RT: yes we will start making some progress on this.

ML: Parking committee has been working alongside them, in regards to what other improvements etc and we will be meeting on Thursday.

TI: we were going to be cashless at the dump can we speed this up?

Last point, maybe we can look at that as a whole, and maybe we can have a more comprehensive proposal for the septic lagoons and the dog park.

ML: we have a request for a sewage flow increase from Fella's on Union, at 20 Union street.

Mr. Cecilio explains and ML tells him that there is an application form to fill out so

RT: says FC already came to them

TI: motion to approve the request for increased flow pending all paperwork being completed.

LG sec. passes unanimously.

Sanctuary, ML asks if anyone is here to represent and suggest that topic be tabled,

TI says he is in favor but

Housing bank :

Abby Burt : on behalf of an ad hoc citizens committee -- gives overview of proposed housing bank.

Island wide housing bank was passed by all towns but held up by the legislature. There is a new group now and new energy, and we are trying to take concrete steps to move this forward.

Request is to put forward a non-binding question on the ballot so we can get a pulse of the whole island community to do this.

We need a fresh vote to show the will of the island as a whole.

This is first step, and we could figure out the particulars from there

Larry Gomez suggests taking out the funding source of CPC listed, says he feels it should not list that.

Money from CPC was supposed to be our town staying here.

Discussion ensues and covers topics such as

Tristan states he is not in favor. Explains that commission has done (housing production plan?) a study, town – centric.

Money from land bank

Housing bank

CPC funds

So suddenly we have a group of people who are end-running around this process,

I don't think you can dictate what CPC spends money on, and I think this discussion is premature,

Take CPC out and then ask are we in favor of a regional approach OK, but to bring in CPC not just pigeonhole us to one funding source.

Are you in favor of establishing regional housing bank, etc

Parul munafo my letter represents my feelings, not nec those of the whole committee
Heidi Dietterich Thisbury CPC has had no time to even review this proposition, Andy type of recommendation has to go thru the CPC process not matter what.

Things can't just say we'll use CPA money there is a very particular process.

TI this is a priority in the comm, and we are rushing to do something before we have time to understand the whole regional housing report.

Cheryl Doble: If we are trying to get the pulse of the community we can just ask if you are in favor of a regional housing bank?

We don't need to get into that, That would be my suggestion

John Best: in the interest in getting the question out there I wd be supportive of dropping the CPC portion of it. I think this is exactly what TI is talking about, and would let you know how the community feels about it.

Heidi: Can we plz take the CPA out of it.

AB: I am ok with getting the CPA out of it. We have been hearing the exact same things for 15 years. As a town our committee is not really doing anything. We have been bugging the planning board for alterations to zoning etc .but

TI: i would be in favor of the first sentence: are you in favor of a regional housing

Motion to take the first sentence to be a nonbinding referendum question

LG seconds.

ML: I was on the committee group ,and I fully endorse the amended language. If the state recognized that the island has achieved a certain level of affordable housing and a willingness to do more that would be a credit to the island,

Passes unanimously

TI : Asks that we run add for aff housing comm

Regional budgets, general discussion ensues of the Dukes County regional housing authority
Housing authority employees are part of the Dukes County retirement system
David Vigneault blah blah blah gives general overview of the budget.

Draft motion and conditions for review by Town Counsel

Capital reserve has to be built up.

We have no operating reserve and we shd have 3-4 months.

Jeff Krystal state that this budget will be discussed at the fin com mtg

ML thanks David Vigneault

Adam Turner is intro'd budget is 2.2% increase. MVC budget

140,000 for housing study , & we want to do better as regional planning dept staff

Our health insurance went up, and our exec. Dir. Retired. We are a small organization.

Discussion of MVC budget ensues, covers topic such as :

Shared employees,

Final draft of housing plan to be presented town by town.

We asked the Towns what they wanted to do, we did not try to push an agenda, and just asked that whatever the towns said they wanted to do, they do.

From there we go backwards and figure out how to do that.

Use of MVC resources to help with Waterways Harbor Planning ,

AT states that they have mapped all the structures on the water, and their uses, for the committee to use in that process.

** hiring of position / community comp

Recommendations for OPED ?

Adam Turner is excused

Matt D'Andrea is introduced,

High school explains high school budget overall cuts such as reduced positions, & reductions transportation, utilities, vocational equipment,

Areas that are increases: health care, contractual salaries, payments to OPED liability, chip away at principal and bring it down.

Ongoing facilities maintenance, developing maint plans, re boilers, fire systems to address issues before they become bigger issues. Hopefully we'll get a cost savings as we do this with all the schools

Revenues,

We didn't realize that with the increase in students to Tisbury your budget was going to get hit hard so we from the Oped to help offset that hit

Topics include:

Residential care tuition,

solar being considered behind the school to help offset costs? Land behind school, roof, over parking structures like cronings

LED lighting

Other

Mark freedman accounts manager for the high school

22% increase. Because we have 21 new students that are attending the high school.

Future costs for high school renovation and new tisbury school project

Possible change to regional model in response to rising costs,

TI: states not sustainable.

Tisbury school budget:

John custer is introd. Proposed 1.92 increase to be offset by 100,000 of school choice fund

00.04% increase after that.

Gives detail. Budget included in record (proposed) .

Selectmen thank dr. custer .

ML updated timeline for school project is that the town would be invited to MSBA board meeting in December then 120 days to secure our funding. We want people to be prepared to have a special meeting in the winter of 2018 or ask the MSBA for an extension to bring it to the ATM in April of 2018.

Re school lights facilities manager and school are looking at what can be done to come up with solutions.

School representatives are excused.

All island sustainable energy group .

Rob Hanneman is introduced.

He gives overview of the opportunity for an all-island energy group.

Topics include looking for opportunities for greater sustainability, such as with transportation,

Talks about not having any anticipated costs. Mvc has offered support services, and so there will be no budget request at this time.

Full time designated energy person

For cape light, for CVEC

Legislation that would provide funds for town for charging stations,

Discussion:

You are anticipating an island wide board of sorts?

Take a look at a developing energy plan for the island.

Starting with the island plan

How far have we come along,

Since the world of sustainable energy has changed dramatically since that time.

So are they just going to be finger waggings telling the Town what to do?

Topic of training in the school systems for kids here to work in these areas such as the wind farms being built near here.

Peter : Danish oil and nat gas get their financing from pension funds back in Denmark.

Motion to support the concept of vineyard sustainable energy committee, LG seconds, passes unanimously.

TI: asks for us to investigate representation to CVEC, cape light, and the above group.

Annual Town Meeting warrants, JG passes out most recent version, for Selectmen to review prior to joint meeting with fin comm tomorrow night.

Strategic Partners contract addendum

(list amounts)

ML this doesn't change

Motion to approve TI/ LG passes unanimously

Environmental partners, 8000 contract with funds from the DPW consulting fund, which will keep things moving on the project

TI: Where are we with the drainage,

ML; over all the state plan did not adapt to our expectations,

Harriet Barrow: I have a question regarding complete streets have said the amount of areas involved are very limited and only certain parts will be affected by local or regional designs,

Does complete streets work with this Env part group and this contract, and when does joe public get to see this?

If nothing else we would like to see the contributions.

RT: Env. Part aren't done yet. But we can't do anything until the study is done.

ML: this contract is to make recommendations to the state and be the Towns representative, on the Beach road project.

HB: Low impact design if you are going to be limited with what is being proposed in this

JG you have one consultant working on a plan to get us access to funding for projects, then you have another consultant who is doing an overall study of all of these issues, and then we have Mass Dot, since they are the ones who have all of these standards that we are supposed to be following.

We'll try was the response from the State. We have

Planning board wants to incorporate any form of LID will it guarantee that 5 corners will not be flooded.

Mass DOT said we will have bigger outflows and catchbasins which means more junk going into the harbor, faster.

Discussion of stormwater and other issues in regards to the Beach Road design and how it is being managed at the State, and why can't we have a presentation from the State.

LG

We requested sidewalk changes , drainage issues we deserve answers to our concerns

We have one major outflow right into the Lagoon pond, do we want the money or do we want our shellfish.?

TI I want a presentation JG & ML agree.

ML States that when we have this discussion about stormwater , and with our consultants,

Is their money worth the lagoon, and other areas ?

JG the fire station could be a tif project for the future.

** mansion house has to be responsible for their own effluent.

Motion to approve payroll warrants etcl passes unaniomous.

ML asks to consider Authier rd in future,

And Comcast services, how are we represented (our residents)

Adjorned 7:19